NEW CALIFORNIA DRIVING LAWS 2013
The following is a list of updates to California laws that all drivers should take into account.
- AB 2020: A person arrested for suspected DUI will no longer be given the option of a urine test. In previous years, officers gave the option of either a urine test or a blood test.
- AB 45: Bus and limousine drivers will be held responsible for telling all underage passengers that drinking alcohol is illegal. If alcohol is being transported in a bus or limousine with underage passengers on board, a person at least 25 years old must be on board to ensure there is no underage consumption.
- AB 1536: It will be legal to send and receive text messages with hands-free devices powered by voice-operated software.
- AB 1708: Drivers will have the right to show proof of insurance on a smartphone or tablet when pulled over.
- AB 2405: Cars with Clean Air Vehicle stickers will be allowed to use High Occupancy Toll lanes.
- SB 1298: Self-driving cars will be allowed on public roads for testing purposes as long as a licensed driver is in the driver's seat.
- SB 1047: CHP will begin a Silver Alert system similar to Amber Alert, but for missing people over 65 years old.